Thursday, March 16, 2017

Spring Freezes/Porch Dreams

Spring Encouragement!




Hi there!...We are experiencing a late Spring freeze here this morning like I suspected that we would. BUT I'm trying to see the glass half full and remember that we've also been able to enjoy one of the most abundant camilla blooms ever this year also due to the unseasonably warm winter!




Unfortunately, my wisteria bush is loaded with buds which may get frozen, and the blueberries, pears, plums and peaches are blooming. We don't have to make a living on these crops- just growing them for our own use and to share- but we are surrounded by commercial peach orchards that will be in danger of losing their crop again this year! They've had a hard time of it in these past 10yrs that we have lived out here among them...several years of drought, and many late freezes. I suppose the freezes may be due to the fact that we are just on the line between two growing regions, 8a & 8b:


Our property in particular has the added challenge of being on the "sunset side" of a large hill, where the temperatures are usually lower  and lower longer than the immediately surrounding area. I usually have to take 5-10 degrees off of the temperature prediction for local weather!

 The mistress of this property before me planted a large variety of botanicals here- some of which require borderline tropical weather thus causing them not to thrive. Here are some of my plant "friends" enjoying the Winter indoors...



If you are pining for generally warmer days, don't despair, they are just around the corner! (At least for those of us in the northern hemisphere!) 

Here's to those sweet summer nights out on the porch with friends and family just ahead!
Our humble porch...not seeing much action in winter.

Until next time...Be a proponent of beauty wherever you are! Now if you'll excuse me, I must go make preparations for my annual St. Patrick's Day dinner--a Winter's end tradition around here! Another way that I like to add a little cheer to the mix " )
*******
HAPPY ST PATRICK'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment